Cats seem to go on the principle that it never does any harm to ask for what you want. – Joseph Wood Krutch
Flaps is our senior cat at Maison Steinbuchel. He has been a very healthy cat, but early during the lockdown in 2020 he had a seizure and we almost lost him. We found ourselves at the emergency vet clinic at 2 AM in March sitting in the car while they worked on him. He is now on anti-seizure meds twice a day. What we do not do for our furbabies!
Married To A Cat Person
I became a cat person when I married. My husband is a true cat whisperer and could give Jackson Galaxy some serious competition. He has an amazing way of
- bringing out the unique personality of any cat,
- restoring cats who are damaged
- actually getting them to mind! Well, mind in that “I’m a cat” sort of way.
We have a lot of fun with our kitty tribe. No, we are not crazy cat people, but I have learned to truly love, appreciate and even train these furry soul-mates.
Flaps got his name from a control surface on an airplane. We started aviation names when we acquired a hangar home. The cats’ job, besides keeping us company and entertained, was to keep rodents under control in the hangar. Rodents can be very damaging to aircraft and this was our way of dealing with them. Our version of barn cats.
What Makes Flaps Special Even As A Senior Cat
Flaps is an odd cat. His black and white coloration is more like a cow than a cat. He was born to a feral mom who lived in a rock pile behind Maison Steinbuchel. He went on a stroll one day and got lost.
My husband heard him mewing at the top of his little four-week-old voice, snatched him up, gave him some tiger’s milk and a warm place to sleep. He slept for 10 hours, woke up, and decided life in the “big house” was sweet. It did not take any time at all for Flaps to adjust to civilized life.
If I were to describe him in a word, it would be “curmudgeonly‘. He grumbles and gripes about almost everything, except mealtime. Even then he is quite animated.
If meals are not exactly on time or served with the swiftness his tummy says they should be, he paces, meows, and even slams doors. Yet he is lovable; he makes us laugh out loud – a lot.
Flaps’ Senior Cat Attributes
- He meows backward!
- Has an imaginary friend. Although not as often these days, we hear him pacing the upstairs hall meowing.
- Has very specific times for scratches and ONLY on his head and neck.
- When Flaps wants scratches, he puts his paw on your arm or butts his head against your hand. (sooooo cute)
- Values his sleep. At least 16 hours a day and he does not like to be disturbed, by anything or anyone. I have seen him pop one of the other cats for coming around while he is napping!
- Before he went deaf:
- Knew his name. You could say his name anytime, even while he was sleeping, and his stub* of a tail would move.
- Flaps responded to “nite nite’ and “no”, always getting his last kitty sass in response to the latter, while reluctantly obeying.
- Sometimes retaliated to a “no” by opening drawers and doors and pulling all of the contents out onto the floor. He also does this when meals are not in his timing!
- Is known to slam cabinet doors when frustrated.
Senior Cat Soul Mate
Flaps is attached to us: He leans and cuddles, but only when he is ready. He greets us when we come home, hates it when we leave and is very clingy for days upon our return.
Caring for a senior cat is a commitment, especially when twice daily meds are required. We are glad to do it, and enjoy the time Flaps is with us.
*We had to have most of his tail amputated after he broke it in a fight with a neighbor cat. He is also missing one of his toes as the result of another skirmish. Flaps does not like to fight and obviously is not very good at it.
Do you have a fur baby that has added value to your life? Tell us about them in the comments or email me at: firstname.lastname@example.org
What does this have to do with Rescuing Lost Stories? Writing a story before it has a chance to get away from you is a sure way to capture it. I have on my list a book about the Cullen Cats beginning before I married a cat whisperer. Flaps will be among those listed in that book…..start today by getting your free download of Five Legacy Story Types today.